Tuesday, January 14, 2014

To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story By: Sonya Sones

Title: To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story
Author: Sonya Sones
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Poetry
Recommended For Fans Of: Lisi Harrison, Meg Cabot

Synopsis: You can never believe a word Colette says... because she's a liar. Maybe she's the daughter of a famous movie star, OR, the daughter of the movie star's stand-in, OR a thousand year old vampire. Maybe you'll never find out. This summer, Colette and her actress mother a taking a trip to a run-down town full of endless possibilities and many many lies. Here, Colette meets the dazzling Connor, who sweeps her off her feet... both with his promises, and his lies. Told in verse, Sonya Sones writes an addicting new novel that will take your breath away, and leave you stunned.

Review: Although I've never read any of Sonya Sones's other books before, I have to say that it was quite daring for her to write in verse. I haven't seen this very much at all in the YA genre, and I was excited, and a little apprehensive when I picked it up.

Storyline/Plot: Wow. wow. wow. I was left stunned and confused (in a very good way!) after reading this book. I honestly cannot tell the difference between truth and lies in this book. The plot was so incredibly ADDICTING. It is like watching one of those terrible horror movie scenes, where you just want to look away, but you CAN'T. For me, personally, I loved just how addicting this book became. I finished it in 2 hours flat, and could not put it down the entire time I was reading. After reading a synopsis like the one for To Be Perfectly Honest, how could you not expect twists and turns and plunges? In fact, this was me half the time:
But I loved not understanding a single thing.

Characters: Colette was... interesting. She honestly wasn't a great person, BUT in the end, she stood up for her morals, and you got to see the best in her. I won't get all "deep and philosophical" on you, because Colette is honestly not that type of person, but I did enjoy reading how Sonya incorporate the many aspects of her personality in this book. My favorite character, however, was Will, Colette's younger brother. Adorable and charismatic, he'll tug on your heartstrings and make you smile.

Romance: If I say anything about the romance, I will basically be giving away this entire book. So. Read it for yourself. It truly is a book worth reading.

Conclusion: Daring and intriguing, Sonya Sones's novel in verse will leave you wanting more from this brilliant author.


3 comments:

  1. See, this would drive me crazy. Mostly because if something in the story doesn't make sense to me, I go google it until I'm satisfied. I'd never get over this book!
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your review I really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so.... Usually your positive reviews end up adding books to my TBR, and happily. But I must admit that it worries me a bit that this book is in verse. I have read one other book in verse, and I just didn't enjoy it very much. Although it was mainly the story itself that I didn't enjoy. That being said, maybe I should give verse another shot, and if I do it sounds like this is the perfect story to do just that with!

    ReplyDelete