Monday, November 11, 2013

Unbreakable (The Legion #1) By: Kami Garcia

Title: Unbreakable (The Legion #1)
Author: Kami Garcia
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Horror
Recommended For Fans Of: Richelle Mead, Holly Black, Ransom Riggs

Synopsis: Kennedy Waters lives a broken, but hopeful life with her single mother. Kennedy's mother is the only constant in her life since the day her dad walked out, but the day that Kennedy finds her mother dead is the day that her entire life shatters. Things spin out of control when two boys break into her bedroom in the middle of the night to save her from death at the hands of an evil spirit- the same one that killed her mother. Forced to leave the safe life she had, Kennedy teams up with a group of teenagers who claim that they are fated to come together and destroy an evil demon named Andras. Together, they must find the pieces that will unravel the evil, while Kennedy's own heart is tested as she encounters love, pain, and the demons in her own mind. 

Review: 
Kami Garcia, why do you do this to me???

Let me start off by saying that, wow. This book was seriously amazing. It had so many elements that I love to see in the perfect book, such as paranormal (the presence of ghosts and evil spirits), romance (Kennedy's indecision between Jared and Lukas), action (this book will leave you breathless for sure) and totally badass characters (pardon my language).

One of the things I loved most about Unbreakable was the non-stop action. There was not one second in this book where I was bored, or felt the urge to skim pages. The scenes, along with the setting, changed at the perfect pace. I absolutely adored the way Kami wrote in different locations, from the bottom of a dark well, to the very interior of an abandoned orphanage. 

The characters. Wow, they were probably one of the best butt-kicking groups I've ever read about in a novel. There was diversity, and individualism among the characters, but there was also a tight sense of loyalty among them. I especially loved how Kami gave each and every one of the characters their own shining personalities, even though Kennedy was the main protagonist.

I wasn't really sure what to expect with this cover, because it doesn't really give away anything about the story, but that was perfect. When you actually start reading it, all the elements that were kept hidden from the cover will jump out and you and blow you away. 

Unbreakable made me feel all the emotions. I have to admit, I got goosebumps every time Kami added in a new evil spirit or maniacal ghosts. And THE ENDING. Man, that ending really killed me. I don't want to spoil anything because you definitely want to read this book yourself, but I ABSOLUTELY NEED THE SECOND BOOK. Like, ASAP.

Conclusion: Spine-tingling and gripping, Unbreakable is an action-packed read that will leave you dying for more. I highly highly recommend this book:)

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality


7 comments:

  1. Awesome review, and this one is on my wish list. I love the sound of the characters and a little paranormal woo-woo is always a good thing. So glad this knocked your socks off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really did love this book, and I have a feeling that if you choose to read it, you will too:)

      Delete
  2. Although it wasn't quite as scary as I was hoping, there were still a few scenes that gave me the chills. Even though I was disappointed it wasn't as scary, I still loved it. The characters are one of the main reasons for me loving it. They were each their own character with their own voice. Neither of them blended into the background. I liked the history of the group of teens. The ending was the only sucky part, and that was only because it was a cliffhanger of epic proportions. I can't wait for book 2. I hope it is a lot longer and a lot scarier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is the language in the book? Sometimes I find that extremely gritty novels have terrible profanity, which I just don't like.
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  4. And despite the thriller-style cover, the story is promising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that I was a bit sceptical to read this novel before seeing your review, mostly because I did not enjoy “Beautiful Creatures” written by the same author. However, I think I might give the book a chance after your great review:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been rather curious about this novel for months now. So glad you enjoyed it! I have hope then. I must check this one out.

    ReplyDelete